Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sony VAIO P

Working on a Sony VAIO P for two days. Some thoughts are as follow.

  • The screen is very good. The backlight is better than my Lenovo Thinkpad X61T, even readable under sun light. But the viewing angle is much worse than X61T. The resolution is good too. The screen size is OK for most tasks, but sometimes I want a bigger screen.
  • It's very thin and light (about 700g?). I can hold it comfortable for hours. So it is very good to be used in holding style. X61T is a little heavy for me to hold (about 1.9kg).
  • Keyboard and trackpoint is good, although the keyboard is a little small for my big hand. I think I can get more comfortable with the keyboard size after more usage. But I hate the position of right shift key. Don't know how long will it take for me to fit in with it. I think I will not programming with it.
  • Terrible Linux support, mainly the graphics drivers. Why does Intel use such graphic card? Hope 2D open source driver ready soon.
  • The CPU of the model I used is only 800MHZ. So the performance is not very good. Not too bad, but not satisfactory too.
  • The battery life is too limited, only 2 to 3 hours.

All in all, I think Sony VAIO P is not the right choice for me. A netbook or CULV notebook with bigger keyboard and screen, longer battery life, better performance and acceptable weight (about 1kg) is better for me.

No comments: